Kids dream of becoming a High School State Champion from the first day they watch it in person. This tournament is full of those excited and jubilant after becoming a State Champion(or Placer), but also wrestlers deflated after not achieving a goal. For us, we run the gamut of emotions during the week as we feel all these emotions for the wrestlers we coach. We see the hard work, dedication, and discipline that these wrestlers exhibit throughout their life. The road to the goal of being a State Champion has made all these individuals better people and more prepared for life!
Congratulations to St. Michael Albertville and Kasson Mantorville wrestlers and coaches on winning the MSHSL State Team Tournament. These two programs put in a lot of work during the season, and the off-season, to become the programs that they have become.
We want to send a special Thank You to all the coaches of the High School Teams that allow us to train their students. We enjoy keeping these wrestlers progressing throughout the off-season, and having wrestlers come together from all over MN and WI to become the best they can become!
Sorry I can't mention all 105 wrestlers who participated in the State Tournament, but here are a few notes.
- "Crazy" Carl Leuer is my choice as MVP of the Team tournament, winning 2 tight matches to put STMA over the top.
- It was the year of the 3-timer for us as our leaders in our practice room won their third state titles. Patrick McKee, Peyton Robb, Alex Lloyd, Jake Gliva, and Greg Kerkvliet have all been with us from the start, and part of our original group of wrestlers that trained together as youth to try to become the best in the country.
- Was awesome to see Silvio Whidby and TJ Turinske fight for a spot on the podium. Both of these wrestlers have dedicated themselves and improved immensely the past 2 years.
- Richie "Loco" Hammonds was the show. If you weren't there, you missed it. Really came down to everybody appreciated how hard he wrestled. He is an entertainer and will be in the folklore of High School wrestling for a long time. Show the ref the optional start Richie!!
- My heart was broken for many, Dylan Droegemueller(while also being happy for Clay Carlson) and Sam Webster are two wrestlers that were "all-in" and gave everything they had. I have been honored to be able to coach these great young men.
- Jake Svihel was a machine this past weekend. He didn't win the tournament, but he was one of the most impressive wrestlers in the tournament as he was always out to score points. This attitude will only make him a better wrestler, and I am convinced he is a great college prospect.
- Greg Kerkvliet went past the 1 minute mark, once.
- Patrick McKee's style is meant for College Wrestling.
- Jake Gliva decided this was his personal Greco tournament with a couple headlocks!
- For the 2nd year in a row, Alex Lloyd moved up a weight class to take on a Nationally ranked wrestler, and again he came out on top. Alex always goes out and scores points, sometimes in an electrifying manner. Tyler Eischens is a great kid who will be going to Stanford next fall, and should feel at home with riding time in college!
- Bennett Berge wrestled varsity as a 7th grader, but failed to make it to state at 106lbs. So he moved up 5 weight classes and won state. Bennett made huge strides this fall as guys like Gliva, McKee, and Droegemueller always seemed to want to work out with him. Incredible improvement during the season as well working out in that KM room!
- Peyton Robb fractured his jaw in the Quarter-finals. He went on to pin his next opponent, and wrestle a full match against a tough Austin Brenner in the finals. Love The Fight! Some guys have the grit, and toughness needed to Be Great!
Below is the final list of wrestlers that participated in the Individual portion of the tournament which participated in our HS Post Season, Pre-Season, and During Season programs the past year. They combined for 105 State Entrants, 54 Placers, and 13 State Champions!
|First Name||Last Name||School||Weight||Result||State Titles|
|Austin||Brenner||Saint Cloud Tech||160AAA||2nd|
|Luke||Clark||Saint Croix Falls||170D3||3rd|
|Dallas||Hooper||Saint Cloud Tech||145AAA||4th|
|Alex||Kern||Saint Cloud Tech||126AAA||5th|
|Zyan||Hall||Benilde St Margarets||106AA||6th|
|TJ||Turinske||White Bear Lake||145AAA||6th|
|Cole||Ranweiler||New Ulm Area||132AA||DNP|
|Sean||Howk||New Ulm Area||138AA||DNP|
|Hunter||Ranweiler||New Ulm Area||145AA||DNP|
|Daniel||Van Oort||Mounds View||195AAA||DNP|